Wednesday, 15 October 2014

Prelim Evaluation

My magazine front cover uses a lot of real media products on it as it has a similar layout to a professional magazine cover. This is shown in many different ways including the masthead, colour pallet, images and many other common codes and conventions.
My magazine has one large masthead going through the centre of my cover. I feel that I have followed most of the common codes and conventions and that my magazine cover looks more appealing that the original Bodmin College one I analysed earlier on. I stuck to my original flat plan idea and I think that helped me focus on what was important on my magazine cover. For an example I made my masthead larger and fit right across the top of my cover.

I feel that my magazine has more of an open audience and it appeals to both males and females. I feel like the stories presented on my front cover should appeal to both genders. I would say that I followed most of the common codes and conventions with my front cover as I have got one main mage covering the majority of the cover and the masthead is dominating the top of my cover. I also feel that the text and colours used is eye catching and appealing to my potential audience.

I also feel like I have covered most of the common codes and conventions for my contents page. I feel like it works well with my magazine cover and works with the same target audience. I think that my header stands out well and works well with the logo which actually emphasises it more. I think that the images are large enough and are main focal point of the contents page. I also feel that the font is the correct size and appeals to the target audience.

Both my cover and contents page follow a similar stye and genre which makes them more attractive and appealing. I have used the same style pictures in both and the same font style to make them more formal and smart. All my images relate and appeal to my target audience. Looking at the stories on my contents page you can tell that my cover and contents page is more focused to the students themselves than a parent or anyone else. This is a good thing because when I did my survey I found that all elder students do not currently read the college magazine and mine currently focuses on that audience bracket.


Overall I think that my cover and contents page looks pretty successful. They contain most of the common codes and conventions. I think I have now got more of an understanding for what is needed on a magazine cover and contents page and I feel more confident about doing them. I believe that my cover and contents page could be improved if I had more of an understanding from the beginning. I also think that my audience research was not very successful so that could be improved as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment